Many students know Dr. Marian Prince as Math professor at Andrews University. But what if we told you that besides her teaching position, she is involved in an even bigger project?
Dr. Prince formed Charitable Calculators, a non-profit organization in 2011— shortly after Texas Instruments released their newest model: the TI-NSPIRE. She couldn’t help imagining all the older calculators lying around, not being used. Knowing that some school districts and educators were unable to provide calculators due to a low budget, Dr. Prince thought of Charitable Calculators!
She avidly collects donated calculators, organizes, and then distributes them to schools in need around the United States and in different countries. A few weeks ago, she traveled to North Carolina with a few classroom sets of donated calculators and taught teachers in Greenville how to use them with their students. As far as foreign countries, she’s been to Nepal, Macedonia, Albania, Jamaica and Haiti. Teachers/schools can apply for a classroom set of calculators on her website.
The biggest shock of all, is that Dr. Prince pays for all her trips with her own Andrews University salary. She calls it a”ministry” and uses her trips to give testimonies of how God has moved in her life to teachers, politicians and education officials around the world. She’s gotten a few monetary donations in the past, and Professor Poblete and two web-design students even helped design her website! She’s relied completely on God to support this organization since the beginning, and Charitable Calculators has become a testimony on its own.
HOW CAN STUDENTS GET INVOLVED? (contact Dr. Prince: email@example.com)
- volunteer your time to test calculators/perform data entry
- go with Dr. Prince on a Charitable Calculators trip!
- donate any calculators you have that you don’t use anymore, or ask friends/family to donate their unused calculators
- If you’re interested in web-design/computer science, help maintain and re-design the website! (this can be done for a class project too!)
- help set up a a blog
- help Dr. Prince find ways to recycle unusable calculators (this can be a class project too)
- fix broken calculators in your spare time
- This list is very minimal, Dr. Prince is open to any ideas! If you want to help in some way, she will think of something for you :)